Wesley In Thailand

I am currently serving as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Thailand. This is a personal blog. The views and opinions expressed here do not represent those of the Peace Corps or the United States government.

Friday, December 01, 2006

The noodle festival


















In my town there is a new festival every few months. Most festivals revolve around the one thing Thai people like to talk about the most....food. Examples of festivals are the banana, vegan, fish, som tom, or chili pepper festivals. Thai people like to talk about food so much a common question from perfect strangers, while I am eating, is " is it delicious?". I have become very careful of my answer to this question because if I say yes I may wind up with whatever it is I am eating as a gift everyday for the next few weeks. While my parents were visiting my "Yai", the Thai word for grandmother, brought my family and I at the minimum of 5 plates of food a day. This usually consisted of fruit or some kind of Thai sweet. My mothers comment was " does she think we can actually eat all of this?". Right now my town is celebrating the noodle festival. I love this festival because it means lots of my favorite Thai food...Pad Thai. Pad Thai is a fried rice noodle dish made with eggs, sugar, long beans, and dried baby shrimp( but I have them make mine without that). The middle two pictures are of a pad thai stand at the festival. The top picture is of a holding case for ingrediants at a typical noodle stand. Inside you will see red pork, tofu, vegetables, and various types of rice noodles. The last picture is of the festival itself. I took this picture in the early afternoon so there arnt really any people there yet. In the evenings it is packed with people, sellers, noodles, loud live music, and traditional Thai dancing performances.

1 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

YAY to noodles (esp pad thai). Boo to cranky old bike displacers!

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home