Wesley In Thailand

I am currently serving as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Thailand. This is a personal blog. The views and opinions expressed here do not represent those of the Peace Corps or the United States government.

Saturday, January 07, 2006

Thanks Kate and Robert!

Kate and Robert, a married couple and volunteers up in the province of Lampong, just recent sent me some great pictures they had with me in it. I thought I would share them with y'all.


So this is my Peace Corps Volunteer group number 117 the first day we all met back in LA. Can you guess which one I am? Wow, I can't believe this picture was taken a whole year ago.










Right before we left for our sites we had a goodbye party for our host families. This is me and some of the guys getting ready to perform a traditional Thai issan dance. We wore paccines, the brightly colored plad things around our waistes. We also wore white face powder as you often times see people with white baby powder on their face to make themselves look whiter and surprisingly it does keep you cooler. Unfortunatly it was medicated and burt a few of the guys faces.






Here are some of us on a fun performance day we had during training for our trainers. My group decided to sing about what it would be like to be actual Peace Corps Volunteers and the great times we had had already as trainees to the tune of Summer Lovin from Grease. We had some theatre majors in our group and well me of course haha. :)







This last picture is of me in my friend Brynn's bathroom up in Lampong. She had just recently moved to this house and we had just come home from a long day of teaching at an English camp. She walked in her bathroom to find a scorpion that had crawled inside. Since I was the only one with experience having scorpions in my bathroom I got the honor of being the scorpion slayer yet again.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you like the photos!!

8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Obviously the Peace Corps has not trained you in proper scorpion eradication. Maybe they think that is something you should experience and figure out using your own technique. Julia is on the right track as you need to show the most chivalrous and professional approach to the extermination of such ghastly killers.
First......I might suggest that you make sure that, that variety of scorpion is not on the Thai endangered species list.
Secondly....if not you need to find a way that is humane, will not offend the PETA groups (animal rights group) back in the states. All people should be on board as to the proper eradication method.
Thirdly.....it must be quick and painless. More than one blow to kill such a pest is not acceptable. If you need more than one blow you have not figured out the most effective extermination method.
A sledge hammer with a head bigger than the pest itself might work as it would be quick and painless. If you make a solid hit the pest should be indistinguishable.
Lastly, if all fails I suggest you find the predator that eats those pests and throw it in the shower with the scorpion and quickly close the door. Should be interesting.
Dad

6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home