Wesley In Thailand

I am currently serving as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Thailand. This is a personal blog. The views and opinions expressed here do not represent those of the Peace Corps or the United States government.

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Mother's Day

Mother's and Father's day, in Thailand, depend on the day of the King and Queens birthdays. Yesterday was the Queens birthday, thus yesterday was mother's day. They had a lovely celebration for the queen in my town. Here you can see a giant picture of her with Thai flags flying to her left, and flags with the queens symbol on it flying to her right.
All of these people are wearing yellow and blue shirts. Blue is the queens color, and since this year is a special year for the king people could wear yellow, the kings color too. Each day of the week has a color assigned to it. The queen was born on the day of the week that is blue. Thus, that is her color and why everyone wears blue shirts.

Here is Becky and I in our new blue shirts.











This is a picture of my supervisor and I. He is the one who arranges everything for me and helps me set up any big projects I may have.
At the end of the night they had a candlelight vigil for her majesty where they all sang the kings song and a song about the queen. It was truly a beautiful moment and shows just how much they really do love their royalty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home