Wesley In Thailand

I am currently serving as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Thailand. This is a personal blog. The views and opinions expressed here do not represent those of the Peace Corps or the United States government.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Mere Christianity


I have finally finished C.S. Lewis's book Mere Christianity. This is a book of his thoughts on Christianity as well as Theology. This book is not C.S. preaching, it is merly his thoughts. I was reading this book, along with his chronicles of Narnia to get a better idea of his concepts of Christianity. This is not a book you can read cover to cover, as I quickly learned. Take it slow and read it while you are reading another book.
I give this book a 3.5 out of 5. I give it this low a rating for many reasons. One, he uses a lot of colliquial phrases that I dont understand because they are old. As a good writer, unless you are writing a novel you should totally avoid any type of colliquial phrases(thanks Julia).Two, hes a very conservative christian and I definitly am not. A lot of that can not be helped as this book was written in the 1940s and most christians were conservative. He did make a lot of points I did like and learned from. I also like that he says you can skip some of the information in it, if it doesnt help you...but most of that actually did. I also liked that he converted to Christianity from Atheism. This is definitly talked about in the book and shows his devotion and faith...which I really liked. He definitly led me in a good direction in my journey as a Christian and fed me in my definite need for education about Christ here...which I dont really get as Thailand is a Buddhist country. Thus, Im happy I read the book.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bobby CHI said...

Why do you say Lewis is a conservative? What point make you come to that conclusion?

3:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home