Wesley In Thailand

I am currently serving as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Thailand. This is a personal blog. The views and opinions expressed here do not represent those of the Peace Corps or the United States government.

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

The Poop Conference

So you will all be glad that there are no pictures involved in this post. Right now, my Peace Corps group is having what we have dubbed the poop conference. The poop conference is where all of group 117 has been sent to Bangkok for three days so that we can poop in a cup everyday. This is so that they can check and see if we have any parasites before we go home. I have gained a few pounds in the past couple of months so unless there is a fat parasite...I dont believe I have one. They have given us all a bag full of three cups, three popsicle sticks(to collect the poop with...you only need to put a bit in the cup), three plastic bags(to put the cup in), and three paper bags( to put the see through plastic cup in...even though we all know whats in the paper bag). This is the first day of the poop conference. We are all sitting around the head quarters volunteer lounge talking about....none other.... but poop. Some volunteers are talking about how it was easy and they had their regular morning poo, while others are talking about how they are having poop gitters and cant seem to squeeze one out on cue....we have to have had a poo by noon everyday, so that they can send them to the lab to be checked....yet others are talking about their techniques of how they got one out, or even their catching of the poo techniques. I have to admit that I had a little bit of the poop gitters...but, I went to McDonalds and had a cheese sandwhich, a super sized fry, a large coke, and a hot coffee. Like clockwork, an hour later I had to go to the restroom. This had to be one of the happiest poos of my life. I rushed out of the bathroom, paper bag in hand, and shouted success! I think this is the first time in my life I have ever announced that I had a poo. I then rushed it downstairs to the nurse who tole me.."just in time, we are sending them to the labratory now". There are some volunteers who just havnt been able to get one out yet...cross your fingers everyone!...My friend Jamie just came upstairs to announce "if you want to turn in a poo, 5 minutes left"...then my other friend Christina got up and headed to the bathroom with a depressing "Are you kidding me, I dont need this kind of pressure". All I have to say is....one day down, two days to go;)

3 Comments:

Blogger Amber said...

HAHA!!!
I love a good poop story.

8:37 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

HA! I love it! Now you understand my whole life. You can never rag me about exclaiming about poo again! :) Wish I was there pooing with you. I had my laxatives ready and everything! :)

LOVE YOu!

8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As Rowen and Martin used to say on "Laugh In", I believe a 1960's TV sit com, "Very interesting but not very funny!" ha!ha!!! Well, I must say you all have a challenging task. It sounds to me that you have all come together as a group and are sitting around in a big cirlce encouraging everyone to complete this daily task before noon so you can give your packages to the cute nurse. You haven't told me what the medical staff will do if you aren't timely in completing this daily task. Do they give you an enemia or castor oil or what so you meet the challenge? Also what kind of games or encouragement are you giving to those that are falling behind schedule?

I must say that this task for your group is not unusual as you'd think. On the Discovery Channel here in the States, there is a show called "Dirty Jobs" with Mike Rowe as host. His job is to find the dirtiest jobs in the country and help perform them. A fun show to watch!!! A couple weeks ago one of his dirty jobs was to go around a dairy barn full of milk cows and with a small can wait until one poops and run up and catch it in the can. Then they test it for parasites to insure that our milk production is safe.

I don't know which would be more interesting to watch.....all you guys sitting around trying to encourage each other to meet the daily challenge or Mike Rowe on "Dirty Jobs" trying to catch cow poop in a can for testing.

In any event I am happy that the Peace Corps is doing a great job to make sure your health is good. My hat is off to them!!!

11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home