Wesley In Thailand

I am currently serving as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Thailand. This is a personal blog. The views and opinions expressed here do not represent those of the Peace Corps or the United States government.

Friday, January 19, 2007

Happy Birthday Welly



















This Past Tuesday was my 25th Birthday. I have to say this was one of my favorite birthdays in the past several years. I woke up to my land lord giving me a birthday cake. It said Happy Birthday Welly. Now to give him credit my name is really hard for Thai people to say. The Thai language doesn't use the "s" noise in the middle or at the end of words, only at the beginning...so most people pronounce my name Welly instead of Wesley. This definitely put a smile on my face and seemed very apripo to see my name written this way for my last birthday in Thailand. Then in the middle of the day my Yai(grandma) came over with a garland of flowers for me to wear. She even dressed up to do this. She is sooooooo cute! Giving people garlands of flowers to wear is normal for weddings or any special occasion really. This past weekend I had bought some tortillas in Bangkok and brought them back. My friends and I made burritos, or really Thai/Mexican fusion food...as I had to substitute a few ingredients. No one had ever eaten Mexican food before, so that made this night even more special. Here is a picture of Ink trying his first Mexican food. He wasn't really sure what to make of it or how to eat it. Then at the end of the night we got out the cake and everyone sang Happy Birthday to me. Ink even learned how to sing the happy birthday song in English for the occasion. My landlord and his family was there and so were Bom and his family which made the night extra special. Now let me tell you something about cake in Thailand. It is generally really goddy and usually looks very delicious. In reality, it almost never does. Thai people have yet to learn the art of making frosting. This frosting was 100% made of pure butter. I ate it anyway;) This was the perfect last birthday for me in Thailand!

6 Comments:

Blogger CHIC-HANDSOME said...

good year

9:20 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Wes,
I love your b-day story. I am glad you had a good time. To make up for it, next year I will make you a beutiful and tastey cake!

1:14 AM  
Blogger In Oak Diary said...

HBD Wesley/Welly.
grow up for future.lol.
wow.very yummy cake.; )

3:32 AM  
Blogger In Oak Diary said...

i try to ask my best friend(Paris Hilton) to sing HBD for u.sorry she so very busy and shy.
just in this case.click my link then...u gonna see her. ; )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=milsy2fzxUQ

12:38 PM  
Blogger KateMV said...

Happy Birthday Wesley!

Sorry we missed it. It looks like a good time -- you have some nice people at your site. :)

Say, if you want to avoid weird comments, you can turn on the word verification. I like having it on mine.

3:48 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

This is so wonderful! Happy Birthday Welly! Love the garland of flowers. See you this weekend.

9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home