Wesley In Thailand

I am currently serving as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Thailand. This is a personal blog. The views and opinions expressed here do not represent those of the Peace Corps or the United States government.

Monday, January 16, 2006

Elephants in the market

There are always baby elephants in my market with their handlers, and I never have my camera. Finally, I had it on me the other day when there were two elephants. So, my friend Bom and I decided to feed the elephants. Trainers and their elephants often wander towns with food to feed their elephant. You pay maybe 20 baht and get to feed the elephant. At first, I thought this was bad, but now I dont see it as such a bad thing. The elephant helps support the trainer and the trainer helps support the elephant as there isnt a lot of land in Thailand for the elephants to roam free and they have replaced elephant loggers with machines.


Here I am feeding an elephant! What a strange feeling!













Here is Bom feeding the elephant.





























Sorry the pictures are blurry, but it was at night. This is an elephants behind. The elephants all wear red traffic lights on their tails, as when its dark and they are walking down the streets you really cant see them. This elephant was amazing as I saw it play the harmonica, while standing on three feet, while spinning a hulla hoop around its trunk!
These days, when I see an elephant on the street, I dont even think of it as anything out of the ordinary any more.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

These pictures are so coooool!!! Wow what an experience, I can't believe the things you have experienced and you are only 24 as of today!!!!!!!!!
Love ya
Mom

10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am intrigued by the flashing red caution lights hanging from the behind of the elephants traveling the streets. What a great idea to protect these endangered and beautiful beasts. If someone were to say that Thailand is not a progressive country I will surely point to this as how to help assure the safety of these animals. Unfortunately, in this country we can't even mandate the Amish buggies to have proper safety lights to keep them safe in the dark hours. I am sure you remember the Amish buggies that went by Grandma's that had no visible lights for safety.
Getting back to the lights on the elephants I might suggest a strobe light that would give off even more light or maybe strands of colored lights like our Christmas lights hanging from its back. Well, enough said here.....they certainly are concerned for the well being of these beautiful animals and that is important no matter how funny it looks.

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your dad's comments are too funny. Anyway, I'm so jealous you got to touch and feed a baby elephant! My goal is to ride an elephant one day. Will they let you do that too??

Shan

12:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home