Wesley In Thailand

I am currently serving as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Thailand. This is a personal blog. The views and opinions expressed here do not represent those of the Peace Corps or the United States government.

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Chubby Chubby

Below is a letter my friend Emily wrote to her friends and family after visiting my site for an English Camp....I laughed so hard I thought I should share it with you all....ps...there are other pictures of Emily on my blog if that helps you to visualize the situation better (Emily is not big, shes just normal...and you have to remember that most Thai people are very very tiny.)

I had traveled across the country to help with an English camp (the camp itself not at all worth it, but seeing my friends well worth the 13 hour trip home!)
We were walking down the street, on our way to the night market when....
BANG, CRASH and a lightning flash and (well, that’s another story, never mind, anyway….)
I see it...
As if from the sky...out of my dreams (or maybe nightmares) the store
the place - not filled with pants that won't come up past my ankle....
not filled with shirts whose buttons gape four inches apart with the strongest tug....
NO - here there is hope...
this place is surely the one for me
It is.....
Chubby Chubby,
the boutique
(ok, I added that last part - makes it sound nicer, huh?)
Desensitized to the "fat attitude" (and consequent vocabulary) of the culture (though possibly permanently scarred as well) I have no qualms about running up to the door, quickly throwing my shoes from my feet and eagerly entering a place I KNOW will carry my size.
Ahhhh - we peruse the racks and find pant after pant, skirt after skirt and even shirts that not only fit, but that are often TOO BIG!
size 6, size 8 - even up to size 12, maybe 14!!!
I knew the "big people's" clothes didn't materialize from thin air.
Proof!
I had room to move in the dressing room
The sales people felt no need to tell us we were fat - they knew.....we knew....they knew we knew….unspoken
understanding...beautiful!
After all, we were in "CHUBBY CHUBBY"
I found momentary harmony....
I found a little daily miracle.
Thank goodness for chubby chubby! :)
(And thank goodness for the cute cloth bag withOUT the name of the store on it!)
(But too bad it's 13 hours away!)
basking in the chub,
Emily

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell Emily thanks for doing the leg work and finding my kind of store also, now I'll know where to shop when I come over!!!
Mom

12:40 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

I have a feeling I too would have enjoyed the discovery of Chubby Chubby.

7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home