Wesley In Thailand

I am currently serving as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Thailand. This is a personal blog. The views and opinions expressed here do not represent those of the Peace Corps or the United States government.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Running with Scissors

Today I read Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs. This book is the memoir of a Augusten's childhood. His parents divorce leaving him with his mother who is mentally ill. His mother can not handle him and soon signs him over to her psychiatrist to be his legal guardian. This house is nothing but a psychiatric ward itself where the many children of the family are allowed to do as they please by the age of 13. One example of the craziness of this family is how the father, Dr. Finch, at one point believes God is sending messages to him through his balve movements and saves them to dry on the picnic table in the back yard.
This book is funny, sad, and just plain astonishing all at once. I give this book a 5 out of 5. It is definitely in the running for my favorite books list.
I feel like I cheated my mom with this book in a way. My friend had recommended this book and I asked my mom to send it from America for me. Im sure she intended it to give me at least a half a week of entertainment, where in reality it only gave me one day. Its the kind of book you just cant put down. I started last night and every free moment I had, in between classes and after school, I spent reading this book. In short it is just awesome and will give you the sense that you're family could never even compare to this guys family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home