Wesley In Thailand

I am currently serving as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Thailand. This is a personal blog. The views and opinions expressed here do not represent those of the Peace Corps or the United States government.

Monday, September 04, 2006

Memoirs of a Geisha


My latest book is Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden. This book is about the secret life of geisha, and one geisha in particular. It is basically how her father must sell her into the life of a geisha where she does the last thing a geisha is allowed to do and falls in love with a man. Her whole lifes work is only to get closer to him. Many of you have seen the movie so you know the story line.
I give this book a 5 out of 5. I have never read a book before where I was immersed into it from the moment I started reading. I learned so much about life in Japan and geishas. If you liked the movie you definitely have to read the book, because as always it is much better. I thought they had cut and changed appropriate things in the book, for the movie, up until the last hundred pages. Then I realized they changed quite a bit of the ending of the book. The same idea is the same, but a lot of the ideas and characters have been changed. Also, the movie ends where the book goes on to say what happens to the Geisha Sayuri after she has received her lifes goal. I am most impressed how Arthur writes a book about another culture, and about a topic many people with in the Japanese culture dont know such intimate details. As my friend Merissa says, Im also impressed how well a man can write so well about the female mind. This book is awesome and is a wonderful read for anyone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home