Wesley In Thailand

I am currently serving as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Thailand. This is a personal blog. The views and opinions expressed here do not represent those of the Peace Corps or the United States government.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

The Vegan Festival


Right now my town is having what is known as Tesegon Jay...or the Vegan Festival. In Thailand, it is a very highly respected thing when people are vegetarians, but very few people actually are. They respect them because its part of the Buddhist religoun. Monks are suppose to be vegetarians, but very few actually are. At any rate, at the end of every October, for two weeks, my town celebrates veganism with a festival. All over town there are food venders set up selling vegan food. In this picture you can see the yellow flags.
The yellow flags mean they are selling food with no meat or animal
bi-products.
This is a picture of some of the awesome vegan food being sold. The last time I posted pictures of food I got a lot of people saying...that looks discusting. Looks arnt everything. Thai food is awesome because of how flavorful it really is. As a vegetarian myself...I love this time of year because I dont have to give off a list of things I dont want them to put in my food. Generally if I tell them I dont want any meat, they think that just means pork and go ahead and put chicken in my food...thus, I have to give them lists of all the possible meat that they cant put in it, unless its a place I go regurally!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home