Wesley In Thailand

I am currently serving as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Thailand. This is a personal blog. The views and opinions expressed here do not represent those of the Peace Corps or the United States government.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Quarterly Report

Every Three months I have to submit a really long, intricate, and tedious report of what I have been doing for the last three months that includes tons of, in my opinion, useless statistics. We have a newspaper here in Thailand, made by the volunteers specifically for the volunteers called the Sticky Rice. We put funny things in it that we find or make up ourselves. This is an article from an outgoing peace corps volunteer of what he wishes he could actually put down for his responses, instead of the politically correct buisness like answers we actually do put down(since this report goes to Washington and is reviewed by the big guys in PC). I found this particularly ammusing, and hopefully this will give you some more insight into my strange life...if you dont understand or get some of the jokes just leave a comment. Please remember this is just for fun and are fake comments and the actual reports are much much much longer!!
PEACE CORPS THAILAND
TEACHER COLLABORATION AND COMMUNITY OUTREACH PROJECT PCV QUARTLY REPORT
Name:....
Site:Want"let me see that"Thong, Phitsanulok
PartOne
How many students and teachers are you working with in your schools?
Boys: 109 Girls: 118 Lady Boys: 2 Commuity members who act like children: 3
Describe the overall support that you are receiving from your supervisor, counterparts, and community:
Everyone remains very helpful in reminding me that I am a farang(the word for foreinger, especially a white person). They seem to be very worried I will forget. The 7-11 clerk is very helpful providing me the correct change when I payu with a 100Baht bill for a 39 B Leo Beer. Improvement is needed when I give him a 500B or 1000B. My supervisor excels at cutting oranges. I receive considerable support from my friends, my family and my underwear.
Follow-up Outcomes: What are some of the overall outcomes and enduring impacts of past or on going project activities that you and your community partners have noted. How have community partners applied new knowledge or skills? Have you observed them embracing different attitudes or modifying behaviors?
I have personally affected the overall profit of 12call(the phone cards we use), Nok Air, and 7-11. The 7-11 clerk does not seem to remember that I do not want a straw when i purchase milk. We really need to work on this. Any ideas from Peace Corps are welcome. Should you wish me to come into the office, I would gladly come.
PCV Collaboration: Are you collaborating on primary or secondary project activities with fellow PCVs? Please name the PCV and describe your work together below.
PCV Name Site Area of Cooperation
... Uttaradit Crystal Palm Disco International Relationship Building
... Sakorn nakhon Sustainable complaints for VAC
... K-rat Telephoning Development
... Thaialand my porch
... R-buri Instant Messenger
Mr. Guy(My plastic Chicken) Deep Conversations(mostly about the Bird flu)
... Nan... ....of your business
Best practices
What is going well in your project? What are some positive experiences that you have had in your community? What are you most proud of?
I am proud most of all of my ability to sit on a bus and stop thinking.
Lessons Learned
What are some of the challenges that you are facing within your project assigment or integration in your community? What are some of the strategies that you have used in dealing with these challenges?
Waking and getting out of bed countinue to be a challenge. It seems I am only able to do one or the other on any given day.
GOALS
What are your proposed primary and secondary activity goals for next quarter? What are some personal goals that you have set for yourself?
Continue working on my quarterly reports, including reviewing old quartly reports to check for errors(for example, I stated in my 2005 qtrly report I have helped 103 girls when in fact I only helped 102)
FEEDBACK
How do you feel about the overall support that you are recieving from Peace Corps programming staff? Do you have any special needs or requests from staff at this time? How can we best support you in the field?
I would appreciate more emails, more letters and more phone calls. It would be helpful if all PC stafgf called every day to check on my progress. In addition, why confine quartly reports to 4 times a year. I would prefer to do one per week.
Also, there are several people here in Wang Thong who feel left out because there is no space on the out of site form for them to sign. Can we add the space? People who have expressed interest in approving my out of site requests are my noodle lady, three supervisors, the chicken lady, my neighbor, and my grandma Shirley in Miami.
Also, i was under the impression that SPA funds were for me to join the local gym in Phitsanulok. Now that I understand better, please whithdraw my application.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

El Indomable7 [12:09 AM]: think spending your entire day just sitting and working on a report
LHOLLSTEGGE [12:09 AM]: i'd rather not ;-P
El Indomable7 [12:09 AM]: hah me either

Rock on Wes!
:-) Lisa

12:15 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Wes,
That was funny. What is up with teh 7-11s there? Do the people not make change well and sell lots of straw hats?

2:09 AM  
Blogger Wesley said...

Well 7-11 is generally the only place you can get larger bills like 1000 or 500 baht exchanged into smaller bills. A street vendor or place in the market wont have change for that seize of a bill. So we depend on them so we can have money we can use. Also, here they give you a straw with every drink. They believe it is dirty to drink out of a pop can or bottle or water bottle or whatever.

8:47 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

Oh - I thought it said strw hat for some reason. I will reaad again the part about the straws and I am sure it will be funnier.

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home