Wesley In Thailand

I am currently serving as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Thailand. This is a personal blog. The views and opinions expressed here do not represent those of the Peace Corps or the United States government.

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Michelangelo and the Pope's Ceiling


This past week I read the book Michelangelo and the Pope's Ceiling by Ross King. This is the story behind the Sistine Chapel in Rome. It talks about why it was commissioned, how it was made, and the significance behind it. It also gives a lot of information of the ruling Pope at the time, the battles being fought in Italy, Michelangelo himself, and the painter Raphael who was competing with him while he was frescoing the chapel vaults. I give this book a 4 out of 5 stars. Even though it was an extremely interesting book, and I learned a lot...there were too many Italian names( understandably so as it is based in Italy), it was too long, I wasn’t really interested about the bits of the battles being fought in Italy, and I’m not that interested in historical literature. The main part it doesn’t get 5 out of 5 is because I don’t generally like historical literature. But if you do like historical literature, then you will probably love this book. It really is very informational and very well written!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home