Wesley In Thailand

I am currently serving as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Thailand. This is a personal blog. The views and opinions expressed here do not represent those of the Peace Corps or the United States government.

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Favorite Foods 1


I thought I would post pictures of some of my favorite foods that I like to eat in Thailand. This is a picture of mushroom stems. They are a little tough and chewy, but prepared to look like some type of meat. I get them at my local vegan resteraunt.








These are fried bananas. I always buy them from this lady that owns a fried banana road side stand. I can never seem to get away very fast as she is a talker and is forever asking me questions.










This is called Gwee Chi. The brown ones are bamboo and garlic with some kind of flour covering that turns glutonous like after its been fried. The green ones are basically the same thing. It is some sort of leafy grean vegetable fried in the flour mixture. I generally eat it with soy sause.









This is mangos and sticky rice covered in sweet coconut milk. Im so excited to be able to eat this now because mangos are now back in season, as I am addicted to them. This sticky rice is boiled in sweet coconut milk, to make it have a sweet flavor, and then put with mangos and smothered in more sweet coconut milk. MMMMMM!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The fried bananas and mango and sticky rice sound good, not sure about the others!!

10:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Wes, I am really enjoying your pictures. The food doesn't exactly look like school food. Maybe we can send Beth over there (PLEASE) to teach them how to cook school lunches!!!Your new kittens are adorable. Will you be bringing Mr.Ruth back to Ohio with you when you come ? Take care and thanks for all the great pictures. You look wonderful. You can leave the creepy crawly things over there. You are braver than I am.Denise

7:00 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

Mmm...I could make that! I lvoe mangos too. I bet that they are especially excellent in Thailnd though.

Do you just substitue coconumt milk for the water when you make the rice?

1:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The fruit and sticky rice sound so good!

7:46 AM  
Blogger Wesley said...

Ive never actually made it. Someon just explained the process to me briefly one time. I bet you could easily find it online though as I think its popular throughout southeast asia.

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home